Thursday, June 09, 2005

Be The Change You Want to See

SLDN Honorary Board Member BG Keith H. Kerr, CSMR (Ret.) sent us this message about his testimony on Tuesday in favor of a California state resolution calling for repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell.'

___________

Mahatma Gandhi, the great political, social and civil rights figure of the 20th Century, said:

“You must be the change you want to see in the world.”

This week, I had the chance to take Gandhi’s words to heart. If I want the opportunity for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people to serve openly in our armed forces, then I must be part of the change. I must tell lawmakers what change is needed and I must present myself as a dedicated and professional soldier, admittedly better than some, and not as good as others.

I went to Sacramento, our state capitol, to testify on behalf of Senate Joint Resolution 11 of the California legislature, sponsored by Senator Christine Kehoe, which calls on the Congress and the President to repeal the flawed policy of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

The experience was both rewarding and stimulating. The Judiciary Committee passed the resolution to send it on to the Legislature. I also met the Senator, her staff, and other people who were there testifying on behalf of the resolution. I will know some of these people for the rest of my life.

If you want to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, here are some thoughts:

1. Get acquainted with elected officials: local, state, and national.
2. Urge them to support legislation or measures designed to end DADT.
3. Offer to testify on behalf to the legislation.
4. Prepare remarks in advance.
5. Identify your position
6. Have a concise major idea to present if the committee shortens hearing time or seems anxious to move on.
7. Thank officials who support repeal.
8. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper
9. Look for opportunities to explain why Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell has failed.
10. Don’t argue with officials opposed to your position or threaten to vote for another candidate.

Let’s all be the change that we want to see in the world!

-Steve Ralls