Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fall Is In the Air

For political junkies we are just now starting to get a whiff of it. I felt it the other afternoon. For the first time in months, I had a “hot” (not iced) cup of coffee here in your nation’s capitol. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, we find ourselves smack dab in the middle of the Dog Days of August, and summer dress rules apply. But still, there was this faint fresh breeze today that suggested that the glorious even-year arrival of autumn might be just around the corner. I can almost see them off in the distance: red yellow leaves, orange pumpkins, and haystacks. I can hear the faded sound of distant marching bands practicing for football games. I can feel those Red Sox pitching arms starting to tire as they lumber toward the wire with the Yankees. Sounds pastoral right?

Ah hooey! Give me relentless attack ads, give me a box stuffed full of campaign mailings, give me your tired candidates, give me those cavernous radio voices dubbed over long-bowed anxiety packed string music, I’m ready for election season, baby! I guess the combination of that cool breeze and musing over last Sunday’s punditry regarding Tuesday’s controversial primary contests started to get the ole political stomach growling. This fall’s electoral battles promise to be just as attention-grabbing as the last few cycles have been. Unlike the 2004 Presidential campaign cycle, the big prize this year is control of the halls of Congress. That’s right, over the next 90 days you are going to need to get yourself ready because I have to tell you, it is on! Politically speaking, it’s showtime!!!

I suspect that many of you do not adore politics as I do. For that I commend you. I also expect that you will lead more serene contented lives. But if there is something that we share it is a common commitment to end this foolish policy that bars lesbian, gay and bisexual people from serving openly in the United States armed services. I am not going to be distressed when you flip from Notre Dame v. Michigan to Oklahoma v. Texas when the assault ads interrupt your autumnal paradise. I only ask that you try to take note where the candidates stand on this important issue. We will do our honest best to let you know where they stand as the political war is waged this fall. Until then, pull out your orange and brown sweaters and break out your giant foam fingers. As for me, I’m going to head down to the Hawk-n-Dove and check into reserving a table for election night.

- Greg Rasnake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home