Fighting for Equality

One of the questions I always get is why I decided to be a part of the lawsuit. My initial reason still holds true today: I deserve to be treated like any other American who wants to serve his or her country. I want to continue my family’s history of service by following in the footsteps of my grandfather, father, and stepfather. My grandfather served in the United States Army during WWII. My father and stepfather both retired from the United States Air Force (USAF) after 20+ years of service. I, too, had hoped to retire from the USAF but was denied the opportunity because of this law. With the brief filed yesterday—only possible with the hard work of SLDN and the law firm of Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr LLP—in the First Circuit Court of Appeals, I am one step closer to having our date in court so we can prove how harmful this horrible law is.
I think it is fitting our brief was filed the Monday after Veterans Day, a day when we honor all those who have served our country in our armed forces. I spent five years serving my country so that all Americans could have the equality and freedom granted to them under the Constitution. Yet, “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” takes those rights away from lesbian, gay, and bisexual Americans who only want to serve their country honorably.
I am optimistic that one day soon “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” will be overturned. Until then, I will continue to fight so that all Americans have the equality and freedom they deserve.
- Former Air Force Staff Sergeant David Hall

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home