And the List Continues to Grow
Earlier today, Steve discussed Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton's recent announcement of her intent to form an exploratory committee for the 2008 presidential election and her support of repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."It seems there is yet another candidate to the list of presidential candidates in support of repeal efforts. This morning, I noticed a blog entry in the Irregular Times about Republican presidential candidate Michael Smith (pictured) who is in support of repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Smith, a former Air Force Russian linguist, has this to say about the gay ban:
Gays have served and are currently serving honorably in the military, protecting the freedoms of all Americans. They deserve no less than the equal status they are due in any role in society. Arguments about military cohesiveness or military discipline hold no more validity than concerns about the behaviors of heterosexuals in a coed military.Smith joins a growing list of pro-repeal presidential candidates loudly proclaiming their support for equality in the armed forces. It appears that our movement to repeal the gay ban is rapidly picking up steam.
Gays should be able to serve without fear of persecution or harassment and legal protections should be included in the Uniform Code of Military Justice to ensure their protection, just as women or minority servicemen are protected.
What do you think? Is the end of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" near? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
- Rebecca Sawyer

2 Comments:
Arguments about military cohesiveness or military discipline hold no more validity than concerns about the behaviors of heterosexuals in a coed military.
Unforunately, many people still can't get over these beliefs even in regards to women. They would destroy unit cohesion (esp. in combat arms branches), they only come to find sexual partners, they can't be counted on, and can't have "real" relationships with "battle buddies", etc. I don't think gays will be accepted until women are fully accepted, and vice versa.
I don't see an end to it any time in the near future. I live in it and I have learned over the past 8 years that no matter who is in control of the White house or Congress, gays are simply chips in mean game of poker. We are used to get votes from both sides. Either they use us to recieve our votes or they are against us to recieve the conservitive votes. It will not happen for a long time to come and by then it will be too late. Most gays have given up the idea of a military service due to DADT and numerous gays to include myself are leaving the service because we're sick of living double lives. It's sad, but most likely true. I've served for 8 years so far and have been out for the most part to everyone I've ever served with, but all it takes is one wrong person and it's all over. So, as with many, I'm getting out while I'm still good.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home